Last Saturday night I met with former college buddies. One named David Jackson gave me an update on his son. He is a Lt. Colonel in the Marines who will be going to Afghanistan soon in a major command position over our troops serving there. Amazingly, this soldier's wife is also a serving Lt. Colonel. How about that for a STUD and a STUD-ETTE? What was David’s son biggest worry? That he might lose considerable money on his home here in the states because of our economic situation here at home.
On Sunday my boss, Tommie Sue, and I had lunch at the Hubbard City Cafe (of course) with Mom and Aunt Martha. One of my several "Second Mom's" joined us, Opal Sonnenberg. Opal gave us an update of her grandson who is a Ranger on his way back to the Middle East. Opal knows very few (like none) of the details of his service because of the secret nature of his assignments. Tommie Sue asked Opal, "What is a ranger?" I answered for her, "He is a STUD."
I am amazed at the courage and commitment of our STUDS and STUD-ETTES. These are folks who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for any amount, up to and including their life. We owe them a lot, not the least of which is Leadership and Support. As we approach Memorial Day Weekend, beyond that to the year 2012, let's think about our debt. Most of all we owe them a leader. The Commander in Chief of the United States Armed Forces is the President of the United States, according to Article II, Section 2, Clause I of the Constitution.
In my feeble opinion American citizens owe our military a leader with the following minimum qualifications:
1. A proven track record of leadership, decision making, and experience.
2. An unquestioned loyalty and dedication to the United States of America and to this Republic as defined by our Constitution.
3. A singular focus in protecting the national interest and sovereignty of this nation, first and foremost.
4. A living example for all of those in our service of courage, honesty, integrity, and commitment.
5. A non-political decision maker who risks the lives of our youth only as a last resort and only in the protection of our national interest.
6. A leader of the free world in rallying other nation's to the support of our causes.
It is also my feeble opinion that our service people deserve better than a community organizer with limited elected government experience who appears to support Palestinians over Israelis and the Muslim Brotherhood over former US Allies. A follower who relishes taking a back seat to UN and NATO leadership. An administrator who calls our actions in Libya "kinetic activities" instead of war while circumventing Congress and the War Powers Act. Who turns loose his George Soros controlled media to trumpet HIS courage rather than the brave CIA and Navy Seals who clearly are responsible for the bin Laden mission. Whose international affairs are clearly more driven by his desire for re-election than our national interest. Who in courting the favor of Muslim nations with no success, and who in turn, loses the respect and admiration of free democratic nations throughout the world (a typical Obama we lose, we lose strategy).
In summary, who trusts this Commander in Chief? Who has any idea what his regime will do next in any given situation? Who can we count on when Robert Gates retires and General Patreaus moves to the CIA? Just what does George Soros and crew want from the Puppet President?
One of our greatest cartoon characters is the little lady named Maxine. The following is one of her very best:
We need to show more sympathy for these people.
* They travel miles in the heat.
* They risk their lives crossing a border.
* They don't get paid enough wages.
* They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.
* They live in crowded conditions among a people who speak a different language.
* They rarely see their families, and they face adversity all day ~ every day..
I'm not talking about illegal Mexicans ~
I'm talking about our troops!
Doesn't it seem strange that so many are willing to lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but don't support our troops?
Wouldn't it be great if we took the $360,000,000,000 (that's billion) we spend on illegals every year, and spend it on our troops!!!
Let's remember our troops and veterans all 365 days of the year and particularly in November of 2012,