Monday, June 8, 2009

A Role Model's Letter to the Editor in Corsicana, Texas

Letter to the Editor 5/24/09

To the Boys of Summer

To the Editor:

Thanks to Corsicana Youth Baseball. I am a 93-year-old lady from Hubbard now a resident of Heritage Oaks Retirement Village. I would like to say “thank you” to a dedicated group of men and women who take time from their busy schedules to coach the Little League teams. I had the pleasure of seeing my great-great-grandson, Blane, a member of the Astros T-Ball team play. I was impressed with the coaches. They seemed very knowledgeable on the basics of the game and they handled the boys in a way that made you know they cared.

I feel qualified to speak on this as my husband (now deceased) was in Minor League Baseball as a player and then manager for over 25 years. Parents please take the time to thank the coaches and all who participate in the program. The boys learn much more than baseball on the playing field.

Thank you coaches. May God bless you for all that you do to help our youth — they are the future.

Sincerely,

Mariana York

Note: This wonderful lady's husband, Tony York, holds the Texas League record for reaching base 14 consecutive times. He was called up to the Chicago Cubs for a brief tour in 1944. Their daughter, Nancy, was my girl friend in the first grade and remains a very good friend.

Mariana was like a second mother to me.

What an example for all of us to take the time to thank people who contribute to the quality of our loved one's lives.

Think about it,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment